American Team Managers Insurance Services

Transporting goods via huge semi-trucks is big business, and each year billions of dollars of equipment, foodstuffs, and essential non-combustibles are transported between states and across the United States. By law, truckers are required to have liability insurance in a specified and sufficient amount as stated by the area he or she works in. This can get complicated when the driver’s routes fall under both state and federal trucking laws. The industry experts at American Team Managers Insurance Services provide additional helpful information regarding these laws.

State Trucking Laws

Across America, only nine states allow truck drivers to transport goods within the state without filing a commercial form. When the drivers move across state lines, there are often state fees to pay and various proofs of insurance to provide.

Federal Trucking Laws

Truck drivers that move across state lines must complete a federal filing for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This is a comprehensive filing that includes a BMC 91 document that indicates that the driver’s company has ample liability insurance to cover the transportation of goods between states. Some forms must be submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, while other forms must be attached to the driver’s insurance policy itself.
With so many trucking forms and insurances policy verification required between state and government levels, it is a good thing the FMCSA is protecting American interests. It is also a good thing the insurance companies are there to help provide the required trucking policies.